Monday, September 16, 2013

A strange new land!

      Ok so I received my shiny new Breville Juicer arrived from Amazon. So now what am I supposed to do? I have a general idea what most common fruits and vegetables are, but I have never shopped in a produce isle in a grocery store before. At least not like this. I don't think looking for lemons for Corona's counts. So I made a list of things to look for.

First thing kale! I honestly didn't know kale was edible until recently. We used to use it to decorate around the salad bar when I worked at the Pizza Factory. Also discovered that kale is expensive! As a matter of fact all of the vegetables and fruits are expensive. I decide to make a spread sheet on my iPhone to compare prices. The closest grocery store to my house is 6 miles. The next one is another 15 miles, so I'm really going to have really plan ahead. 


So I got my fruits and veggies and my girls and I make our first juice. Kale, cucumber, celery, ginger root, apple, and lemon. 




Well suprisingly not to bad! I do not like the taste or smell of lemon (long story) so the next batch I will use less lemon. Other than that, I actually kind of liked it. 

The next day I decided to go check out a Farmers Market. To me this was a little confusing. Most of the fruits and veggies were not labeled or priced. It was bad enough to keep asking how much something was, but also what it was. There were fruits and veggies there that I had no idea what they were. I had always thought the farmers market was a place to get a good deal on stuff. That was not the case here. Even things like kale and apples were considerably high than my local grocery store.  (Stater Bros)  So much so that I could go buy the stuff at the store and resell it at the farmers market and do pretty well. I did managed to pick up some hummus that I sampled. I tried some hummus a few days before that was pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment