Saturday, December 28, 2013

Breville vs Omega Juicer

Breville Elete 800JEXL vs Omega J8006 Juicers




I came across a pretty good deal on an Omega J8006 juicer. Even though I already have a Breville which I love, I have heard and read about the benefits of a masticating juicer. The big one being you get more juice out of your fruits and veggies. 

For those that don't know the difference between a centrifugal and a masticating juicer here you go. 

A centrifugal juicer spins at a high RPMs. Fruits and vegetables that are put into the feed shoot are chopped up by a disk and juice is forced through a fine mesh screen. The remaining pulp is thrown into a separate container. They juice very fast but your pulp can come out pretty wet meaning your not getting as much juice as you should. 

A masticating juicer chews and crushes your fruits and veggies between 1 or 2 augers. As it grinds and crushes and presses the juice through a small screen. 

Both have pros and cons for different fruits and vegetables. Some will say that the centrifugal oxidizes the juice because of the high speeds which will reduce shelf life.  Also I have heard that it's heats up the juice because of the high speeds causing it to loose nutrients.   

So keep in mind this is only my opinion based on my use of both machines. I juiced all of the following on both:
Kale
Romaine
Swiss chard
Beets
Celery
Carrots
Cilantro 
Apples
Lemons 
Mint
Watermelon 
Ginger
Strawberries
Grapes

First off I will say the Omega did produce more juice with the leafy greens, plus you can rejoice the pulp again and get a little more juice. That is the best I can say about the Omega. While it did produce more juice it took close to 3 times longer to do it. I make a gallon of juice a day. Cleaning the fruits and veggies is the same but prepping is a different story. In the Breville the only thing I had to cut up was the watermelon. Everything else I was able to put in whole. The Omega required everything to be cut into small pieces. Even carrots had to be split. The leafy greens had to be put in small leafs at a time. The Omega also clogged several times while making the gallon of juice requiring me to take it apart and clean it. When I was done I strained both and the Omega juice also also had a lot more pulp in it. 
I repeated this three times on different days and the results were pretty much the same every time. The Omega produced more juice in the beginning with the leafy greens. By the time I was done with both batches the Breville had produced slightly morels juice. As far as heating up the juice, the juice produced by the Omega was almost warm when it was done compared to the Breville. Speed, the Breville took 23 minutes to make 1 gallon of juice after cleaning the fruits and veggies including cutting the watermelon. The Omega took 1 hr 36 minutes including cutting up everything to fit and stopping at least 3 times to clean the screen and corkscrew. Cleaning, the Breville only had 4 pieces, all pretty large and easy to clean. The Omega has more pieces and some are small but I didn't think clean up was an issei really with either one. 

In summery while I do not think the Omega is a bad machine. You can also make pasta and breadsticks if you want to and I really wanted to like it. But in the end it's just way to slow. If I was only doing leafy greens it would be slow but make a lot of juice. But I'm not, I juice all kinds of fruits and veggies. Does it make a better quality juice, maybe but not enough to justify the extra time it takes. 


11 comments:

  1. The 8006 is actually not the most current model anymore. I purchased the NC800HDS, which incorporated several changes. First off, the feed chute is bigger. I almost pulled the trigger on the 8006. But couldn't get by the small size of the chute. Secondly they added a "pressure" plate to the front which allows you to adjust pressure based on what type of stuff you're putting through the machine. Is it slower than a centrifugal? Absolutely. But, when I was doing my juice fast, it didn't seem overly slow, and cleanup was a 2-3 minute breeze each time. Of course, the price will scare some people off, which I can understand. But, I got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond so saved 20%. You can't use that same coupon for the Breville juicers, for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked at the photos of the NC800HDS and the feet shoot looks much bigger. Curious is you have the problem I did with the 8006, that you have to stop and clean it out often. Not that big a deal just time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried 4 different juicers -- centrifugal, vertical auger, Champion masticating, and Omega NC800. I completely agree that if you're making so much juice everyday, then the centrifugal is simply the best when using high volume ingredients. Yes, even the Champion has cons. The thing about heating the juice is simply marketing as it doesn't get hot enough. Even the bit about the juice being less nutritious because of oxidation is largely exaggerated as well.
    My preference for one or the other comes down to my needs. A centrifugal cannot make AWESOME banana sorbet or nut butters like Champion or NC800 can. Anything small like berries is much better in the vertical auger juicer. I'm lazy and go with prewashed baby spinach and carrots sometimes-- centrifugal isn't very good for that. Because of the teeth on the centrifugal and Champion, you actually get sediment or very fine fiber in the juice and much less large pulp.

    For me, the NC800 gets the most use right now because I've transitioned to more greens, making sorbets, and cleanup is ridiculously easy with NC800. Vertical auger for fruit juices, though I've heard the NC800 can handle oranges too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the Breville JE98XL Two-Speed Juice Fountain Plus I like it a lot and it wasn't expensive. I do find I have to re juice the pulp 2x so I can get all the juice out of it

    ReplyDelete
  5. breville slow juicer ca is the need for all families as it benefits each one of the family member and easily available online with lot of options and at pretty low prices. Then More Information >>> Visit Here

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it comes to finding the best, you have to get down to the one with features that are most suitable for your lifestyle. Those who like to juice when people are sleeping will find a masticating juicer better than the centrifugal type while a juicer might please you for the variety it can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it comes to finding the best, you have to get down to the one with features that are most suitable for your lifestyle. Those who like to juice when people are sleeping will find a masticating juicer better than the centrifugal type while a juicer might please you for the variety it can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,

    Phenomenal post you have made here. Squeezing Benefits: 7 Reasons Why Fresh Juice Is The Healthier Option Huffington Post Canada By now you've presumably known about all way of weird squeezing diets and purges, yet in the event that you're simply searching for approaches to get those servings of day by day fruitsReally your post is exceptionally decent and supportive for us.

    Thanking you,
    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANK you for the post! Made my buying decision so much easier! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I have always loved the Breville juicer but mine needs replacing now and I started to consider the Omega. After reading several reviews and watching videos on youtube, yours helped me make a final decision. I will get a new Breville!

    ReplyDelete